Follow us on:
Twitter / @SanDiegoHospice @PalliativeCare
For Media Inquiries Contact:
Associate Director, Marketing and Communications
+1 (619) 278-6139 Direct
+1 (619) 517-2053 Cell Phone
Physician and Clinical Specialists available for interviews
For resources or details on interviews with physician and clinical specialists, please contact Melissa DelaCalzada at +1 (619) 278-6139 (direct), +1 (619) 517-2053 (cell), or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
IPM in the News
- Charles von Gunten, MD PhD FACP FAAHPM, Receives Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine.
The AAHPM Lifetime Achievement Award recognizes outstanding contributions and significant publications that have helped shape the direction of the field of hospice and palliative medicine. “I am thrilled to receive the Lifetime Achievement Award,” stated Dr. von Gunten. “It is truly an honor to be recognized by my colleagues for my work in the field of hospice and palliative medicine.” View full release here.
- New “Pet Peace of Mind” Hospice Program Keeps Pets and Families Together During Hospice Care.
San Diego Hospice and The Institute for Palliative Medicine has partnered with Banfield Charitable Trust to be the first local provider of Pet Peace of Mind, a national program, which recognizes and actively supports the unique bond between hospice patients and their pets. View here.
- San Diego Hospice and The Institute for Palliative Medicine honored with Regional Award for Excellence in Pain Management.
The City of Hope’s Southern California Cancer Pain Initiative (SCCPI) honored three clinicians and one program from San Diego Hospice and The Institute for Palliative Medicine for Excellence in Pain Management at an award Gala held on October 9, 2010. The award recognizes outstanding achievements of individuals and programs that improve pain management and provide cancer pain relief. To view click here.
- Challenging palliative care cases now featured in palliative newsletter. The Institute for Palliative Medicine at San Diego Hospice is partnering with Mary Ann Liebert, Inc., the publishers of The Journal of Palliative Medicine, to include a monthly case-based educational feature in their Briefings e-newsletter. Read more, click here.
- U.S. News University Directory features information about IPM’s recent partnership with local universities to offer palliative care education.
Dr. Charles von Gunten is noted in the article. For more info, click here.
- San Diego Hospice and The Institute for Palliative Medicine receives a $75,000 grant
The grant was awarded by the Hearst Foundation to develop a palliative care curriculum that will enhance nursing education programs offered locally. Click here to view press release.
- San Diego Hospice and The Institute for Palliative Medicine’s Board of Directors has named its chief development officer, Kathleen Pacurar, the new president and CEO.
The appointment was made on July 1, 2010. Read futher, click here.
- Mayor Jerry Sanders Visits SDHIPM's reception.
Mayor Sanders expressed his gratitude, personally and professionally, for our organization's service and accomplishments locally, nationally and globally. Congratulations to our "world-class staff and volunteers" for the incredible work you do, as featured in the Mayor's remarks. Click here to watch the video.
- San Diego physician Jeffrey N. Stoneberg, DO, of San Diego Hospice and The Institute for Palliative Medicine is one of four American physicians named as recipients of the first Hastings Center Cunniff-Dixon Physician Awards.
Click Here for full press release. Click here to view video.
- San Diego Hospice and The Institute for Palliative Medicine Program Wins National American Psychiatric Association Gold Achievement Award.
Click Here for full press release.
- Dr. Charles von Gunten was featured on Fox 5 News. To see video Click Here.
- Dr. Laurel Herbst was interviewed for Media HealthLeaders. Click Here to view article.
- Dr. Laurel Herbst was referenced in the KPBS Editors Roundtable Discussion with KGTV Channel 10's J.W. August and Editor John Warren. Click Here to read the transcript or listen to the podcast.
- The Institute for Palliative Medicine’s Dr. Scott Irwin is featured on the cover of the UCSD Stein Institute for Research on Aging’s newsletter. Click Here for Info
- Physician Fellows Selected for Class of 2010 at The Institute for Palliative Medicine. Click here to view information.
- President/CEO Jan Cetti and Provost Dr. Charles von Gunten, along with SDSU Professor Rebecca Moore discuss the role of hospice and palliative care in America on KPBS These Days radio program. Click here to listen to radio program:
- Congresswoman Susan Davis meets with medical experts at San Diego Hospice and the Institute for Palliative Medicine Click Here for more info
- Dr. Laurel Herbst introduces new palliative care consultative hotline from The Institute for Palliative Medicine, featured in Physician Magazine. Click Here for more info
- New Palliative Medicine Hotline Begins Operations from San Diego HQ. Click Here for more info
- San Diego Psychiatrist Scott Irwin, MD, PhD is Honored with National Recognition. Click Here for more.
- Dr. Shannon Moore Honored with Prestigious 2009 TWIN Award from YWCA. Click Here for information.
- Dr. Charles von Gunten, Provost of The Institute for Palliative Medicine, was invited to participate in an OpEd piece in Sunday's Union-Tribune. Click Here to view the article.
- Dr. Frank Ferris, Director of the International Program for The Institute for Palliative Medicine, presents "Goals and Challenges of Palliative Care" featured on UCSD TV and YouTube. Click Here to view the one hour program.
- The Institute for Palliative Medicine named as finalist in Gates Foundation Award Finalist Click Here for More Infromation